Thursday, September 20, 2012

What am I doing and where am I headed?












I am working pretty hard on becoming a professional photographer. Lately I have been lucky enough to dabble in some corporate photography work and I while I must admit the money side of it can be quite good - it is a killer for creativity and artistic flair. So far I have learned basically what I don't want to do in this industry rather than what I do want to do. I have assisted Kate Raston from Iris photography at a couple of weddings - which I thoroughly enjoyed & I will also be second shooting for another friend and mentor Ngarie Humphries in a few weeks. Although I adore the meet & greet and creativity side of weddings, the time constraints and constant pressure to nail shots is tough. So basically that leaves me with child/family photography - which I think suits my personality and creative visions. I find it hard to believe that one day I will have my very own professional blog/site + portfolio of images out there for everyone to scrutinise. I know that I do not want to actually begin shooting professionally - which also  means charging accordinally - until I am 100% ready. I am getting there slowly. I am so close - yet still so far.

Please clink on the links if you would like to see examples of the head shots I did for Slater & Gordon Lawyers (not all of the head shots are my work). Not a bad gig for my first corporate job. Can you imagine how scared I was heading into the CBD to photograph a bunch of lawyers (who were all nice by the way). Like most industries this is one where 'it's not what you know but who you know'!!! Your images do however need to speak for themselves.

http://www.slatergordon.com.au/our-people/siri-siriwardene
http://www.slatergordon.com.au/our-people/john-pitman

It is pretty cool to see your work out there on other websites.

1 comment:

  1. OMG your soooo good enough to do it pro!!!! I would love to shoot half as good a photos as you do - your my mentor :-) I hope to make a business of it one day. Your ready, ready, ready girls and you deserve to get paid. U do an amazinng job!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete